How To Surrender Your Vehicles License Plates

Nevada Insurance Enrollment Explains State Law Requirements For You To Surrender Unused Plates

LAS VEGAS - nvtip -- Every state has its own laws for what you should do with your license plates if you sell your vehicle or cancel your auto insurance policy. In some states, you are allowed to keep personalized and vanity plates, but you must turn in regular license plates. In others, you can surrender your license plates or destroy them. It is important to ensure that you understand your state's laws when permanently removing a license plate from your vehicle.

In Nevada, if you sell your vehicle, you can either use your plates on another vehicle or surrender them to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Depending on the type of plate you have, you have 30 or 60 days to take care of them. After you cancel your registration, you are allowed to keep personalized or vanity plates as keepsakes.

More on
Reasons to Surrender Your Plates
There are several reasons that you may have to cancel your registration and turn in your license plates, including if:

-You have dropped state-minimum liability coverage. To ensure that you do not get in trouble for having an uninsured vehicle, it is recommended that you surrender your license plates before cancelling your auto insurance policy
-You have sold your vehicle and do not intend to use your license plates on another vehicle
-Your vehicle will be in storage or undrivable for a long period of time and you do not want to maintain liability auto insurance on it

How to Surrender Your Plates
If you will not be putting your license plates on another vehicle, you have two options for surrendering your plates to the DMV.

1). You can mail the plates, along with the decal and a signed letter requesting that your registration be canceled, to the DMV. You should make sure that you provide contact information and your correct mailing address in case follow-up is needed.

More on
The DMV's address is:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Central Services Division
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711-0700

2). Alternately, you can visit your nearest DMV office to submit your plates in person. You do not need an appointment.

Read the full article:
Learn more:
Nevada Insurance Enrollment
4260 W. Craig Road suite #150-A
North Las Vegas, NV 89032
(702) 898-0554

Nevada Insurance Enrollment
Shelly Rogers

Source: Nevada Insurance Enrollment
Filed Under: Insurance

Show All News | Report Violation